Učenje angleščine je pogosto povezano z dvomom, katero besedo uporabiti.
Which sentence is written in American English (AmE) and which in British English (BrE)?
1. My mom and I went to the city center to get some French fries for dinner.
2. My mum and I went to the city centre to get some chips for dinner.
AmE: My mom and I went to the city center to get some French fries for dinner.
BrE: My mum and I went to the city centre to get some chips for dinner.
BrE and AmE differ not only in pronunciation and accent, but also in vocabulary and spelling.
1. Some nouns that end in –tre in BrE end in –ter in AmE.
BrE – centre, theatre, litre
AmE – center, theater, liter
2. Some nouns that end in –our in BrE end in -or in AmE.
BrE – colour, labour, flavour, humour, neighbour
AmE – color, labor ,flavor, humor, neighbor
3. Some nouns that end in -ogue in BrE end in -og in AmE.
BrE – catalogue, dialogue
AmE – catalog, dialog
4. Verbs in BrE can be spelled with either -ize or -ise, whereas in AmE they are always spelled with -ize.
BrE – aplogise, organise, recognise
AmE – apologize, organize, recognize
5. In BrE final –l is doubled in stressed syllables.
BrE – travelled, travelling, traveller
AmE – traveled, traveling, traveler
6. BrE words that are spelled with the double vowels –ae or–oe are spelled with an –e in AmE.
BrE – manoeuvre, paediatric
AmE – maneuver, pediatric
7. Some nouns that end in -ence in BrE are spelled -ense in AmE.
BrE – offence, licence
AmE – offense, license
Many words are completely different.
|to queue||to wait in line/to line up|
|petrol station||gas station|
|single ticket||one-way ticket|
Naredite tudi vajo v Virtualni Linguli.